History


Aviation Station, previously known as Middle River Depot, was originally commissioned in 1929 by aviation pioneer Glenn Martin and designed by famed architect Albert Kahn and Associates. Within this massive facility, the Glenn L. Martin Company (predecessor to Martin Marrieta and Lockheed Martin) designed more than 85 different aircraft, including the Martin B-26 Marauder bomber. Many airplanes produced here were outfitted with unprecedented innovations, including gun turrets, retractable landing gear, and rotating bomb bays. During World War II, the company employed more than 53,000 people who worked around the clock, building state-of-the-art war plans for the US Government and the Allies.

Timeline


1929

Aviation pioneer Glenn L. Martin commissions famed architect-engineer Albert Kahn to design an aircraft manufacturing facility in Middle River, Maryland.

The Glenn L. Martin Company opens for business at the Middle River facility engineering and manufacturing war plans for the US and its Allies, most notably the B-26 Bomber Marauder.

1940
1941

Now known as Aviation Station, Plant No. 2 opens for business during WWII to engineer and manufacture aircrafts for the U.S. and its allies, most notably the B-26 Marauder.

Shortly after the U.S. entered WWII, the 603rd Camouflage Engineer Battalion helps make the entire aircraft factory “disappear” – camouflage was painted on the buildings, parking lots and tarmacs, disguising them as fields to deter any possibility of German bomber strikes.

1942
1961

Glenn L. Martin merges with American Marietta to form Martin Marietta with a new focus on designing missiles and space products.

Martin Marietta merges with the Lockheed Company to produce one of the largest aerospace, defense and technology companies in the world and moves to Bethesda, Maryland.

Late 1970s
1997

Lockheed Martin takes over business operations at the Middle River facility. Under the name Middle River Aircraft Systems, the new entity partners with aviation giants including GE, Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney, the US Navy, and more than 150 commercial airlines.

US Department of General Services sells property to private investors for $37.5 million.

2007
2019

Blue Ocean acquires the massive two-story facility and renames it Aviation Station. Development is planned with an eye toward breathing new life into the property’s existing improvements and creating new life on its unimproved acreage.

Read the latest updates on Aviation Station!